Tuesday, February 17, 2009

To Run, Or Not To Run... is it even a QUESTION???


This is J Brand aka Jarrett aka Shaft aka Squirrel aka w/e comin at you from a town nowhere near you, feel me? haha But to the real issue at hand.... I'm having some trouble here at home, and yes, I'm now here at home in Jersey. I'm taking a leave of absence from Harvard (in case you didn't know that is where I go) to clear my head and get a grip on this thing I call my life. See, a lot has been going on and its gotten to the point where I don't know whether or not this trackstar thing is for me anymore. I have my reasons that are completely legitimate, but theres something in me gut still burning for that look of terror in your opponents face as you get closer and closer, inch by inch. Those hop out of your bed on a warm summer night runs that you wish lasted forever. The moments before that gun is fired and every muscle in your body is taut with anticipation. The sacrifice... the comradeship... the potential...... Am I really willing to give all that up? It's a question that has been haunting my dreams for a quite a while now and I come to yall seeking advice. Any and all feedback is encouraged. I plan to take your thoughts and/or questions seriously no matter who you are. In the end the decision is my own, but it’s always good to have outside opinions. Hope to here from yall


~J Brand

4 comments:

  1. Hey J Brand
    First off its very brave of you to share such personal aspects in a public arena, so I commend you for that. Secondly, year-off or not, congratulations on Harvard...just making it in is an accomplishment that very few will ever attain, and i wish you the best of luck for your remaining years. Now on to the track stuff... i think an important question to ask yourself is why you starting running in the first place, and what pushed you to keep running for so many years? Are these things even relevant to the man your growing into now? Or has whatever it was that pushed you from start to finish of every race, come and gone like the high school years behind you. The support of teammates and the lessons of sacrifice are all wonderful things that this sport has given and taught you...but maybe the lessons are learned? Maybe its time for you to use what you've gotten out of track...the mental strength that it has blessed you with, and apply it to something bigger... something that doesnt start with a gun shot and end with a finger on a stop watch. I say let your watch keep running...let the seconds, days, and years go by and see what comes your way, but never forget all that the sport has given you. if your running because all your friends still do it, or if your running because the girls like it, or if its because your face is all over google images... or even if its that your running because its what you've always done...in the end you have to ask yourself, does it benefit you as you are now? Like you say the decision is yours and yours only...but if you have a year to think about it, then take your time...

    oh and as for "those hop out of your bed on a warm summer night runs that you wish lasted forever"...they never have to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yooo brotha,
    You already know who this is, but anyway man ima co-sign the person who wrote before me in sayin that you're very brave in writing this and for that i respect u. Dog, ur at H-A-R-V-A-R-D! need i say more. Lol, but really tho man, you have a great opportunity to set you up for the future. You can always take time off from track and come back to it later on, either as a undergraduate, or even as a grad student and there is nothing wrong wit that. Track is a lot of things, but its not everything. The most important thing we have to worry about right now is gettin them grades so we can get dem dollaz lol but forreal tho..
    No ones gonna take away the things you've already accomplished and in the future, no one will be able to second guess you at anything... I mean, questioning a Harvard grad? i think not!....unless the questioning is coming from a brotha from Columbia...hahaha lol if u still dont know who this is, i dunno man.
    But yea jus consider that, but more than anything, keep that faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running on your own won't be the same. Take your time and think about what you really want out of your COLLEGE experience. Track shouldn't run your life. Only keep it there for you and no one else. If it's not what you want, dead it. You'll feel better later. It will all come together eventually. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete